- National Music Academy “Gheorghe Dima” of Cluj-Napoca is organizing on 14-19 June 2020, the Gheorghe Dima International Music Competition – Choral Conducting Section.
- The competition is open to conductors of all nationalities born after 1984, who have not turned 36 by the 14th of June 2020.
- The language used during competition and courses will be English.
- The application deadline is 15 March 2020 at midnight Romania time. On April 6th the selection panel will announce the 32 candidates invited to take part in the competition. The name of the conductors will be published on the website and Facebook page of the competition.
- The application is ONLINE. Requirements for application:
- Application form completely filled
- Copy of an identity document
- Good resolution photo recently taken
- Complete resume and a short BIO of maximum 800 characters
- Video of maximum 20 minutes
- A copy of these Regulations dated and signed by the candidate with the mention “read and approved”
- Proof of payment of the registration fee by bank transfer
The video of maximum 20 minutes must be a YouTube link, public or private with contrasting pieces, preferably. The repertoire can be choral a cappella or with accompaniment (piano, organ, orchestra etc). The ensemble must be at least a vocal quintet.
6. The jury is formed by international panel:
President of the jury
- Cornel Groza, PhD Proffessor and Permanent conductor of the Transilvania State Philharmonic Choir
- David Lomeli – Artistic Director of Dallas Opera, USA
- Patrick Russill – Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London
- Roland Börger – Head of Choral Conducting at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater „Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy“, Leipzig
- Nils Schweckendiek – Conducting proffessor at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
- Cristian Bence-Muk – PhD Assoc. Proffessor, composer and director of the Composition and Conducting Department at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Cluj-Napoca
- Ciprian Para – Permanent conductor of the Ave Musica Student Choir, PhD Assoc. Proffessor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Cluj-Napoca
- Mihaela Cesa-Goje – PhD Assoc. Proffessor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, London.
6. The following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st Prize – 9600 RON (̴ 2000 EUR) and the opportunity of assisting Maestro Cornel Groza in rehearsalls and concerts during 2020 – 2021 season
- 2nd Prize – 7200 RON (-1500 EUR)
- 3rd Prize -4800 RON (̴ 1000 EUR)
- Special Prize Gheorghe Dima 1440 RON (̴ 300 EUR)*
- Special Prize of the Sigismund Toduță Foundation – 1440 RON (̴ 300 EUR)*
7. The application fee is 50 EUR net, – nonrefundable, paid by Bank transfer to:
Asociatia Academiei de Muzica Gheorghe Dima
Address: Str I.C Bratianu 25, Cluj Napoca
Name of the Bank: Banca Transilvania
Bank address: B-dul Eroilor, nr 36, 400027, Cluj Napoca
Please mention your name and the message for DIMA COMPETITION 2020 – CHOIR CONDUCTING.
8. The 32 finalists chosen to take part in the competition are required to pay 90 Euro by 6 April 2020.
9. There are two Rounds of the competition, the Semifinal and the Final Concert.
32 conductors will be selected to enter Round 1, with 16 of those selected for Round 2. 8 conductors will be chosen for the Semifinal. Up to 5 participants will conduct the Final Concert, at the end of which prizes are awarded.
The repertoire and details about the rounds of the competition
- The First Round (32 candidates) has one compulsory piece. The time for the first round is 7 minutes.
Luca Marenzio – Gia torna a rallegrar l’aria e la terra.
Candidates are expected to show their interpretation of the piece working efficiently with the double quintet. The piece can be run through but it is not a condition.
The ensembles for this round will be two alternating double quintets, members of Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir
- The Second Round (16 candidates) has two compulsory pieces and a list of 4 pieces from which one will be allocated to each candidate by drawing by lot.
- Luca Marenzio – Tribus miraculis
- Gheorghe Dima – Lăudați pe Domnul (Praise the Lord) from Liturgy in G
Max Reger –Nachtlied from Acht geistliche gesänge op 138
Edward Elgar – The shower
Adrian Pop – Hic canit hymnus
Alexandru Ștefan Murariu- Word premiere piece – it will be uploaded on the website on 1st December 2019
Candidates are expected to run through the compulsory pieces and to rehearse the piece drawn from the repertoire list. Time allowed: max 20 minutes
The ensemble for this round will be Ave Musica Student Choir of the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy.
- The Semi-final (8 candidates) has one compulsory piece which is the 1st Prize winning piece of the Gheorghe Dima International Competition – Composition Section. The piece will be a world premiere. The 32 candidates selected to participate in the competition will receive the score of the piece on the 16th of April 2020. The second piece of the Semifinal will be allocated to each candidate by drawing by lot from a list of 5 pieces.
Compulsory piece: 1st Prize winning piece of the Gheorghe Dima International Competition – Composition Section
Claude Debussy – Dieu ! Qu’il la fait bon regarder! from Trois Chansons
Hugo Wolf – Resignation – din Sechs Geistliche Lieder
Samuel Barber – The Coolin – Reincarnations, Op. 16: III.(The Fair Haired One)
Paul Hindemith – IV – Printemps and V En hiver from Six Chanssons
Frank Martin – Full Fathom five from Songs of Ariel
For the Semifinal the time allowed is max 25 minutes. Candidates are expected to rehearse the compulsory piece and the piece drawn from the list of repertoire. The ensemble for this round will be the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir.
In the Final Concert ( max. 5 candidates) the finalists will perform the pieces rehearsed in the semifinal. Prizes will be announced after the performances in front of the public. The ensemble for this round will be the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir.
10. There are two days of 10 free masterclasses:
- On the 16th of June –5 sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the jury to the competitors who did not progress to the second round.
- On the 19th of June – 5 sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the Jury to the competitors who entered second round.
The masterclasses will be held by:
Carrier Management Masterclass
- David Lomeli – Artistic Director of The Dallas Opera, USA
Choir conducting masterclasses
Patrick Russill – Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London
Roland Börger – Head of Choral Conducting at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater „Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy“, Leipzig
Nils Schweckendiek – Conducting professor at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
Cornel Groza – Permanent Conductor of the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, Cluj Napoca
11. All rounds of the competition and the masterclasses are open to the public and the entrance is free. From the first round, the competition will be streamed live on the Internet
12.All Romanian repertoire of the competition is available for download from the competition website. Participants are asked to prepare all repertoire.
13. The order of the entrance in the competition will be made by drawing lots with the occasion of the opening ceremony on 14 June 2020. All candidates are required to be present.
14. The decision of the Jury is definitive and without right of appeal.
15. All candidates will receive diplomas of participation and certificates of active participants in the masterclasses signed by the members of the Jury. The prizes will be offered by the President and the members of the Jury. 16. All expenses: travel, meals and accommodation are the responsibility of the candidate. The organizers will prepare a list of hotels in Cluj- Napoca which offer special prices for the Competition.
17. Contestants requiring a Visa to take part in the Competition are requested to contact the Competition Office if an invitation letter is necessary.
18. The organizers reserve the right to make photos, audio and video recordings and to broadcast on Radio, TV and on the Internet all competition rounds and the Final concert.