- National Music Academy “Gheorghe Dima” of Cluj-Napoca is organizing on September 13 – 17, 2021, the Gheorghe Dima International Competition – Choral Conducting Section.
- The competition is open to conductors of all nationalities born after 1984, who have not turned 36 by the 13th of September 2021.
- The language used during competition and courses will be English.
- The jury is formed by international panel:
President of the jury
- Cornel Groza, PhD Proffessor and Permanent conductor of the Transilvania State Philharmonic Choir
- Patrick Russill – Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London
- Roland Börger – Head of Choral Conducting at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater „Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy“, Leipzig
- Nils Schweckendiek – Conducting proffessor at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
- Cristian Bence-Muk – PhD Assoc. Proffessor, composer and director of the Composition and Conducting Department at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Cluj-Napoca
- Ciprian Para – Permanent conductor of the Ave Musica Student Choir, PhD Assoc. Proffessor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Cluj-Napoca
- Mihaela Cesa-Goje – PhD Assoc. Proffessor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima National Music Academy, Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, London.
6. The following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st Prize – 9600 RON (̴ 2000 EUR) and the opportunity of assisting Maestro Cornel Groza in rehearsalls and concerts during 2022 – 2023 season
- 2nd Prize – 7200 RON (-1500 EUR)
- 3rd Prize -4800 RON (̴ 1000 EUR)
- Special Prize Gheorghe Dima 1440 RON (̴ 300 EUR)*
- Special Prize of the Sigismund Toduță Foundation – 1440 RON (̴ 300 EUR)*
7. There are two Rounds of the competition, the Semifinal and the Final Concert.
32 conductors will be selected to enter Round 1, with 16 of those selected for Round 2. 8 conductors will be chosen for the Semifinal. Up to 5 participants will conduct the Final Concert, at the end of which prizes are awarded.
The repertoire and details about the rounds of the competition
- The First Round (32 candidates) has one compulsory piece. The time for the first round is 7 minutes.
Luca Marenzio – Gia torna a rallegrar l’aria e la terra.
Candidates are expected to show their interpretation of the piece working efficiently with the double quintet. The piece can be run through but it is not a condition.
The ensembles for this round will be two alternating double quintets, members of Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir
- The Second Round (16 candidates) has two compulsory pieces and a list of 4 pieces from which one will be allocated to each candidate by drawing by lot.
- Luca Marenzio – Tribus miraculis
- Gheorghe Dima – Lăudați pe Domnul (Praise the Lord) from Liturgy in G
Max Reger –Nachtlied from Acht geistliche gesänge op 138
Edward Elgar – The shower
Adrian Pop – Hic canit hymnus
Alexandru Ștefan Murariu- Word premiere piece, comssioned by the competition
Candidates are expected to run through the compulsory pieces and to rehearse the piece drawn from the repertoire list. Time allowed: max 20 minutes
The ensemble for this round will be the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir
- The Semi-final (8 candidates) has one compulsory piece which is the 1st Prize winning piece of the Gheorghe Dima International Competition – Composition Section. The piece will be a world premiere.
Compulsory piece: 1st Prize winning piece of the Gheorghe Dima International Competition – Composition Section
Claude Debussy – Dieu ! Qu’il la fait bon regarder! from Trois Chansons
Hugo Wolf – Resignation – din Sechs Geistliche Lieder
Samuel Barber – The Coolin – Reincarnations, Op. 16: III.(The Fair Haired One)
Paul Hindemith – IV – Printemps and V En hiver from Six Chanssons
For the Semifinal the time allowed is max 25 minutes. Candidates are expected to rehearse the compulsory piece and the piece drawn from the list of repertoire. The ensemble for this round will be the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir.
In the Final Concert ( max. 5 candidates) the finalists will perform the pieces rehearsed in the semifinal. Prizes will be announced after the performances in front of the public. The ensemble for this round will be the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir.
10. There are two days of 10 free masterclasses:
- On the 14th of September –3 sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the jury to the competitors who did not progress to the second round.
- On the 17th of September – 5 sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the Jury to the competitors who entered second round.
The masterclasses will be held by:
Choir conducting masterclasses
Patrick Russill – Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London
Nils Schweckendiek – Conducting professor at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
Mihaela Cesa Goje – Assoc Prof. at the Gheorghe Dima Academy of Music
Ciprian Para – Assoc Prof. at the Gheorghe Dima Academy of Music
11. All rounds of the competition and the masterclasses are open to the public and the entrance is free. From the first round, the competition will be streamed live on the Internet
12.All Romanian repertoire of the competition is available for download from the competition website. Participants are asked to prepare all repertoire.
13. The order of the entrance in the competition will be made by drawing lots with the occasion of the opening ceremony on September 13th, 2021. All candidates are required to be present.
14. The decision of the Jury is definitive and without right of appeal.
15. All candidates will receive diplomas of participation and certificates of active participants in the masterclasses
16. All expenses: travel, meals and accommodation are the responsibility of the candidate.
17. Contestants requiring a Visa to take part in the Competition are requested to contact the Competition Office if an invitation letter is necessary.
18. The organizers reserve the right to make photos, audio and video recordings and to broadcast on Radio, TV and on the Internet all competition rounds and the Final concert.