- Gheorghe Dima Music Academy is organizing on 11-15 June 2018, the Gheorghe Dima International Music Competition – Choir Conducting section. The competition is open to conductors of all nationalities.
- Conductors born after 1985 are invited to take part in the competition.
- The language used during competition and courses will be English.
- The application deadline is 16 March 2018. On 30 March the selection panel will announce the 32 candidates invited to take part in the competition. The name of the conductors will be published on the website of the competition.
- The application is ONLINE. Requirements for application:
Application form completely filled
Copy of an identity document
Good resolution photo recently taken
Complete resume and a short BIO of maximum 800 characters
Video of maximum 20 minutes
Copy of the application fee receipt
- The video of maximum 20 minutes must be a YouTube link, public or private with contrasting pieces, preferably. The repertoire can be choral a cappella or with accompaniment (piano, organ, orchestra etc). The ensemble must be at least a vocal quintet.
- The jury is formed by international panel:
- President of Honour: Vasile Jucan – Rector of the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy
- President of the Jury: Cornel Groza– Permanent conductor of Transylvania State Philhar-monic Choir, Romania
Members of the Jury:
- Patrick Russill – Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London
- Roland Börger – Head of Choral Conducting at Hochschule für Musik und Theatre Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Leipzig
- Adrian Pop – Composer and PhD Professor at the Gh. Dima Music Academy
- Cristian Bence-Muk – Composer and Director of the Composition and Conducting Department at the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy
- Ciprian Para – Permanent conductor of the Ave Musica Choir, PhD Professor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy
- Mihaela Cesa-Goje –Assistant Professor in Choir Conducting at the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy, Music Director of Jubilate Chamber Choir, Associate of the Royal Academy of Music, London
- The following prizes will be awarded:
- First Prize – 1500 EURO and the opportunity of assisting Maestro Cornel Groza and the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir in rehearsals and concerts during 2018- 2019 season
- Second Prize – 1000 Euro
- Third Prize – 750 Euro
- Special Prize for the best interpretation of the world premiere piece written for the com-petition – 250 Euro
- Special Prize Gheorghe Dima– 250 Euro
- The application fee is 50 EUR net, – nonrefundable, paid by Bank transfer to:
Asociatia Academiei de Muzica Gheorghe Dima
Address: Str I.C Bratianu 25, Cluj Napoca
Name of the Bank: Banca Transilvania
Bank address: B-dul Eroilor, nr 36, 400027, Cluj Napoca
Please mention your name and the message for DIMA COMPETITION 2018.
- The 32 finalists chosen to take part in the competition are required to pay 90 Euro by 6 April 2018.
- There two Rounds of the competition plus the semifinal and the final concert.
- 32 conductors will be selected to enter Round 1, with 16 of those selected for Round 2. 8 conductors will be chosen for the Semifinal. Up to 5 participants will conduct the Final Concert, at the end of which prizes are awarded.
- The First Round has one compulsory piece. The time for the first round is 7 minutes.
Claudio Monteverdi: Si ch’io vorrei morire
Time allowed: 6 minutes. Candidates are expected to show their interpretation of the piece working efficiently with the quintet. The piece can be run through but it is not a condition.
- The Second Round has two compulsory pieces and a list of 5 pieces from which one will be allocated to each candidate by drawing by lot.
- Giovanni Perluigi da Palestrina – I vaghi fiori
- Gheorghe Dima – Ziua ninge
- Johannes Brahms – Waldesnacht
- Edward Elgar – As torrents in summer
- Paul Constantinescu – Rugăciunea inimii
- Sigismund Toduţă – Pogorât-a pogorât
Time allowed: max 20 minutes.
Candidates are expected to run through the compulsory pieces and to rehearse the piece drawn from the repertoire list.
- The Semi-final has one compulsory piece which is a world premiere written for the competition by Romanian composer Cristian Bence Muk. Candidates selected to enter the competition will receive the score on 6 Aprilie 2018. The second piece, from the list of 5 pieces below, will be allocated to each candidate by drawing by lot. After the second round a maximum of 5 candidates will be chosen for the final concert.
- Cristian Bence-Muk – world premiere
- Maurice Ravel: Nicolette
- Knut Nysted: Motets nr 1: Thus saith the Lord
- Vaughan Williams: ‘Three Shakespeare Songs’ Nr 1: Ding, dong bell
- Francis Poulenc: Quatre motets pour le temps de Nöel: Quem vidistis pastores
- Adrian Pop: Quand je vois yver retourner
For the Semifinal the time allowed is max 25 minutes. Candidates are expected to rehearse the compulsory piece and the piece drawn from the list of repertoire.
- In the Final Concert the finalists will perform the pieces rehearsed in the second round. Prizes will be announced after the performances in front of the public.
- There are two days of free masterclasses.
- On the 13th of June – Three sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the jury to the competitors who did not progress to the second round.
- On the 15th of June – Three sessions of free masterclasses offered by the members of the Jury to the competitors who entered second round.
The masterclasses will be held by:
- Patrick Russill –Head of Choral Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, London Roland Börger – Head of Choral Conducting at Hochschule für Musik und Theater, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Leipzig
- Cornel Groza – Permanent Conductor of the Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir
- All rounds of the competition and the masterclasses are open to the public and the entrance is free. From the second round, the competition will be streamed live on the Internet
- Two choirs will be available for the candidates. Second round: Ave Musica Choir – Permanent conductor – Ciprian Para, Semifinal and Final: Jubilate Chamber Choir – Music Director – Mihaela Cesa-Goje. The choirs has prepared these pieces in advance; the candidates are expected to work on the interpretation. For the first round, there will be two alternating quintets of soloists drawn from members of the Translvania State Philharmonic Choir.
- All Romanian repertoire of the competition is available for download from the competition website.
- Participants are asked to prepare all repertoire.
- The order of the entrance in the competition will be made by drawing lots with the ocassion of the opening ceremony on 11 June 2018. All candidates are required to be present.
- The decision of the Jury is definitive and without right of appeal.
- All candidates will receive diplomas of participation. The prizes will be offered by the President and the members of the Jury.
- All expenses: travel, meals and accommodation are the responsability of the candidate. The organizers will prepare a list of hotels in Cluj Napoca which offer special prices for the Competition.
- Contestants requiring a visa to take part in the Competition are requested to contact the Competition Office if an invitation letter is necessary.
- The organisers reserve the right to make photos, audio and video recordings and to broadcast on Radio, TV and on the Internet all competition rounds and the Final concert.